February 17, 2007

Nomads Life | Making Dinner



Yesterday evening, I started late from my office; just to make sure that I would get the dawn light while shooting for my recent project.Everyday I look at the location and think, next day I should carry my camera and go for shooting , but I was not able to make it for some other reason.Then I approached Aditya, my friend, colleague and photographer, so that we both can go together. After he got his first DSLR, he started a new blog with a strong determination to shoot at least a photo everyday. I was quite sure that, if I could get hooked with him, I would be successful.

I wanted to shoot something very urban; like urban landscape or urban life. Nearby the location I found a group of people staying in tents just like a colony. Dogs, roosters, cats, utensils, tempo traveler, coca-cola crates and everything were there. They were celebrating Shiv Raatri yesterday. I went there and approached them. Not everybody were easy in front of the camera, rather some of them were afraid of being published in newspaper. I assured them. They have told me that they were from Maharastra, but seeing their dresses and activities and language they were spaking, I suspected that they came from Rajasthan; I tried to find the registration number of the tempo traveler; but Aditya told me it was hidden. I saw them opening a shop of conventional medicine made of roots, branches and so many other contemporary things within their tent. They further told me that they came to Tirupati to have a Darshan of Balaji, but I suspect that was a story just to hide their whereabouts.



They are nomads, they stay in any places for months and months and when they feel to move out, they just disappear.

12 Comments:

bigbird said...

The landscape seems familiar.

Sandip Debnath said...

Hi "Bigbird", is this landscape familiar with you ? Do u stay in Bangalore ?

Aditya Bhelke said...

Hey Sandip-San (San as in Japanese), the story is very well written. Mine will be a bit different from yours though...And ya thanks for hooking me up :D

bigbird said...

Of course I have never seen such people. But the buildings behind the people are the stereotype of developing countries' buildings. Maybe most of the pictures i saw feature life in the developed world, so i found this one familiar.

Nishant Ratnakar said...

Hi Sandip,
Best luck with this project. I hope to see a documentary soon on it.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sandip,
Good Job done, Even I went so many times to such places, however did not think as you did. But Its a reality and there are millions like them.
A photographer like U has a different way to think about the things & surroundings around us, which I can't think.
Keep It Up, All the best for all of ur projects.

Veeresh said...

Good work mate. I always admired your work. way of thinking.

Anonymous said...

hi sandip,
good work done..slowly u r becoming a "journalist" i feel.
anyway its good.
my suggestion is why can't u select a topic and go search for scenes related to that. is that sounds interesting..??!! try it...

Anonymous said...

Hi, Sandeep. I just found your blog. Nice work. I visited India last fall (Rajasthan, Dehra Dun, Chennai and Ft Cochin)and hope to go again. I fell in love with the Himalayas and want to return - also going to Daramsala

Anonymous said...

the place, the compo.. the story everything is just too good... well composed...

Sandip Debnath said...

Sateesh, your idea is good, I am working on some topic actually and searching for the scenes here. Keep watching this , i'll soon announce it.

Kinkini said...

I adore your photographs. Such simplicity of display is not new to me but there is something different about your photography. Nice blog.